Position available: Digital Outreach Specialist
The Walkerton BIA is delighted to announce that we have received a grant from the Ontario government to fund a Digital Outreach Specialist to help local businesses improve their online and digital capabilities.
Reports to: Walkerton BIA Manager
Status: Full Time Contract (Approx. 15 weeks)
Hours: 35 per week-flexible
Summary of Duties
The Digital Outreach Specialist is responsible for providing digital media and marketing support assistance to support the Digital Main Street (DMS initiative) including on-boarding assistance, advisory services, activation/implementation services, reporting and feedback.
- Possess or is enrolled in a post-secondary education program in marketing, business communications or related field
- Possess strong communications skills (written and verbal)
- Possess strong interpersonal and relationship building/relationship management skills
- Possess excellent organizational and time management skills
- Have experience in a sales role and/or marketing environment
- Possess strong customer service skills
- Be familiar with digital technologies for small business (e.g.: website, social media, ecommerce, etc.)
- Previous experience with online and offline marketing is considered a strong asset.
- Previous experience working with small businesses or e-commerce is considered an asset
- Be able to travel and work independently
- Be able to use office applications such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and online collaboration software
- Must have own vehicle and clean driving record
Responsibilities - On-boarding Assistance
- Conduct pre-business visit research to best understand the Walkerton BIA neighborhood and its businesses
- Assist the business in staying in touch with Digital Main Street by subscribing to the e-newsletter and social channels
- Working with the Walkerton BIA Manager to set-appointments or go door-to-door to onboard main street businesses to the Digital Main Street platform
- Walk-through the on-boarding survey with the business owner and use appreciative inquiry methods to best understand their business goals and how digital tools/technology can assist them in meeting their goals
Responsibilities - Advisory Services
- The Digital Outreach Specialist will interact with numerous businesses in Walkerton and must be able to communicate patiently and effectively to determine business requirements and needs.
- Once the business has been on-boarded to the Digital Main Street platform, the Digital Outreach Specialist will walk through the on-line digital assessment and recommendations with the business owner.
- The Digital Outreach Specialist will assist the business owner in identifying their first priorities and the first digital tools/technology they want to activate.
- The Digital Outreach Specialist will also review vendor recommendations made through the platform and lead the business owner to relevant deals/discounts on the platform
Responsibilities - Activation/Implementation Services
- The Digital Outreach Specialist will activate and implement free, easy-to-use digital tools and technologies to support main street businesses.
- The Digital Outreach Specialist may also provide some resources (training, articles, links, how-to guides) available through secondary sources that can help the business owner learn more about a particular tool that has been activated, or subject matter of interest.
Responsibilities - Reporting and Feedback
- The Digital Outreach Specialist must complete their field notes, enter data into the Digital Main Street online portal, and provide weekly reports to the Digital Main Street Project Manager.
- Digital Outreach Specialist must attend Team Meetings as set out by the Digital Main Street Project Manager.
- Halfway through the employment term, an interim performance evaluation will occur to ensure fit
- Reporting daily to the Walkerton BIA Manager
- Hours will be flexible and may include evenings and weekends.
- Required to work in varying weather conditions for prolonged periods of time
- Will be required to maintain a professional and courteous attitude
- Will be required to maintain a neat and tidy appearance
- Physical fitness required to permit walking, standing or riding for prolonged periods of time
- Work location is within the town of Walkerton
- All necessary equipment and materials will be provided
The Digital Outreach Specialist may be required to attend training, workshops and events related to the Digital Main Street program. The purpose of which is to communicate the benefits of the program to business owners and to on-board them to the platform. There may be other duties, as required, that will be discussed with the Digital Outreach Specialist should they arise. The successful candidate will receive training prior to in-field deployment. The majority of time spent will be in the field working with businesses, however, a desk/phone will be available for temporary use.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline is August 1st at noon.